Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The first good-byes

This past month Brian and I were able to join my family for a camping trip on Kerr Lake, in North Carolina. Our family had been planning this trip for months and for the longest it was up in the air if we'd be able to go as my family would be gone for 3 Sundays. As close as we are to leaving the country we did not want to be gone from home for that long. However, I knew this would be the last chance I would have to see my extended family. It had been a year since the last time I saw them, and waiting another two years was just not going to do. We wanted to drive up with my parents and fly back when they headed further north but we couldn't afford to fly so we thought we just wouldn't go. Then, just weeks before the trip, we were blessed by a friend who allowed us to use his air miles to purchase a ticket home. I was REALLY excited! On August 6th we piled up in my parents van with 4 of my 7 siblings and headed to North Carolina where we'd meet up with my Aunts, Uncles and best friends (aka cousins.)

We had a wonderful four days camping on the lake and made some wonderful memories as well as enjoyed some laughs around the camp fire sharing old memories.


Micaiah caught a catfish and Uncle Barry helped them fry it up



After camping we spent a day in Va Beach with my beautiful cousins Erin and Meg and their guys, and then headed up to visit my cousin Josh and his beautiful wife in Roanoke.

Erin and Adam in front of their new house

Meghan and her fiance Mark (5-12-12)

Joshua and Stephanie one week before baby Acree arrived

Sunday Brian was able to share with the body at Fluvanna our progress and plans in moving overseas and invited them to join in the work. We also had to say good-bye to the Kessler's.

Monday we enjoyed more time with some of the Acree's and friends. Tuesday we said good-bye to them and to our Grandma.
My youngest sister, Lindy, with two of her friends from VA


Because Brian and I will be leaving soon, this was the last visit I'll have with them all for at least two years. I don't know about you and your family, but in my family we cousins are really close. As we've gotten older, we don't see each other as often as we'd like but we always look forward to the next time we'll be able to get together. The families are planning Christmas in Virginia and in May one of my cousins is getting married. I'll be with them via Skype for both occasions, but I will really miss being with them in person. Knowing how long it would be before the next time I get to see them made saying good-bye harder than it has ever been before.

I do not cry easily and rarely when saying good-bye; but I know the day that plane takes off from DFW to take me across the ocean I'll be crying, buckets I'm sure. I will take comfort in these words:

"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for My name's sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life" Matt 19:29


No comments: